It seems to me that the last year has been bombarded with examples of adults giving kids terrible examples of what it means to disagree with someone. Facebook, Twitter, and face-to-face conversations have been centered around the election, which often results in name-calling and mean things (both by candidates and members of society). As we approach inaugaration day, I think it's time we take a page out of the book of Kid President.
Here are a few of the things I'm looking forward to discussing with my students this week:
- What does it look like to treat people like they're human?
- Pause. Breathe. Love. --> What does this look like online and in person? What "tone" do we breathe with?
- How can you encourage the adults in your life to pause. breathe. love.?
- Do you think distraction is a good strategy? Why or why not?
- How do we respect our president and stand up for what we believe in if we disagree with him?