This year I've found my curriculum to fit in really interesting ways with the political climate of the United States. We've read A Long Walk to Water and discussed the refugee crisis facing our world today. We're reading I Am Malala and discussing women's rights and the misunderstood Muslim faith. And while I greatly prefer not to talk about politics and think that adults are doing a terrible job doing it, but I found this brief history too important to pass up.
Here are some of the things I'm wondering as I watch this week:
- Do you agree with the claims this video presents?
- What would the other "side" say in response to it?
- Who in your family immigrated to the United States? When?
- Have you heard of these historic events? What do you wonder about them?
- How would you suggests countries welcome immigrants?
- How can we help rid our country of the fear of immigrants?