Schools and workplaces are shut down today in America in honor of Labor Day. However, I'd guess most of us have absolutely no idea what we're really celebrating. Ironically, it turns out that this day off is actually celebrating work. Take a look:
Here are a few things I plan to discuss with my students this week:
- Do you agree with the rationale behind why Labor Day falls on the first Monday of September?
- At what age should children be allowed to work? Should there be limitations on the jobs for which jobs they're eligible?
- Should workers strike in response to injustices they feel in the workplace?
- Should it be a law to have a 8-hour and 5-day work week? If not, what would you suggest?
- At what age would you suggest students stop attending school and enter the workplace?